St. Nicholas Byzantine Catholic Church is one of Youngstown's
jewels among places of worship. Although the parish was formed
seven years earlier, the structure was built in 1919 and sets
on the corner of the former Hazelton estate. The original home
is still used as the rectory.
The architecture was patterned after the Cathedral Church in Uzhorod,
Czechoslovakia, which was the mother diocese of the present Byzantine
Catholic diocese in Pittsburgh. St. Nicholas in turn, has served
as a resource example for other structures. The once gold-leaf
domes now bear the soft greenish blue patina of copper.
The Oles' estate was acquired in 1952 by five parishes in the
Youngstown area to fit the needs of a parochial education and
within a year the school project, Byzantine Catholic Central School
was in progress.
Besides the lower level auditorium at the church, a social hall
with excellent facilities is located on Shady Run Road where the
original watercolor painting of this image design hangs. The St.
Nicholas Byzantine Ladies' Association commissioned artist Flo
Hosa to depict this area landmark.
St. Nicholas Byzantine Catholic Church
1898 Wilson Avenue
Youngstown, Ohio 44506